Friday, July 1, 2011

Summer Reading and Tour Picks




Tour starts in one day. I figure you watch the tour for a few hours, then what are you going to do for the rest of the day? Read, at least until the recap show at 9PM. My first pick is Bill Strickland's Tour de Lance. Not just for Lance Lovers, Bill was like a barnacle following him during his comeback TDF, lots of insight. Krabbe's- The Rider, you have to read it at least once a year. And Finally Vive la Tour- all sorts of facts to make you sound like a real smarty pants at your LBS discussing the days tour results.
And now my tour picks, I know it doesn't matter to a lot of you what I pick, but I would like to look back 23 days from now and either stand here looking smug or feel like a complete moron when none of them come true. Anything can happen- injuries, crashes, breakaways, or surprise bus searches. The mags featured above are my official tools of research, plus Internet sites such as Cyclingnews and Velonews.

I enjoy Cycle sport's little symbols

My favorite fact about Contador (last line)

And now my picks for the podium:

1. Andy Schleck
2.Wiggo
3.Contador

Reasoning: The course looks like Frank should be able to protect and help Andy. Remember last year? AC was not on his top form,(which would explain why he might of needed his booster transfusion) and that was without doing the Giro and Frank not being there to help Andy. Contador is beat up, mentally and physically. He knows he's not wanted in the peloton, the Giro wrecked his legs, and the French public are going to reek havoc on him everywhere he goes. He can say all he wants about feeding off the negative vibes but I believe he's at his breaking point. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt putting him in 3rd. Wiggins is strong and confident after his win at the Dauphiné, if he can stay anywhere near their wheels he's got it in the bag.

And now for the rest of my TOP TEN in no particular order:

Cadel Evans
Frank Schleck
Robert Gesink
Sammy Sanchez
Tony Martin
Chris Horner
Ryder Hesjedal

Wishful Thinking:
Nicolas Roche
Vino
Levi
Tommy Dannielson
Christian Vande Velde
Ivan Basso

Other Notable Happenings:
-Tyler Farrar will win his first TDF sprint, early on before Cav gets his legs.
-A French rider will be in 75% of the breakaways.
-A Spanish rider will be in be in 90% of them.
-Cavendish will will get pissed, cry, and showboat across the finish line crossing at least once. He will also not win the Green Jersey, quite possibly Tyler? Going out on a limb there.
-It will slip out that Thor Hushvod is moving to Europcar next year, you heard it here first.
-Garmin Cervelo will win TTT and take Top Team. Yep, they're still my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment