Sunday, January 29, 2012

How Do You Gu?


Training time is here again. I always get excited when those words pop into my head, or I say them out loud to no one in particular, well maybe the dog. I become giddy at the thought of turning myself inside out and collapsing in the front yard like a sack of taters after going a little harder than I should of. I've been so sloth-like this winter, I'm seriously craving intervals (I know, I gasped when I typed it), hill repeats, and long weekend rides that make you question your sanity. I love the planning aspect too, dieting, training plans, mandatory recovery time (always a good excuse to use my parents jacuzzi and freezing ass cold pool). I need a little structure in my daily routine and this is just what I need. Bring it on bitch.
Since I'm in planning mode today I went through the energy bar/gel/snack section of our kitchen cabinet. I saw my favorites on top of the heap, but then I came across the nasty tasting ones on the bottom. I can't pass up free SWAG at events so that's how I end up with them a lot of the time. Their expiration date is coming up and I don't want to waste them so I'm saving them for pre-gym energy. Maybe I'll need some extra energy for cleaning the house, that'll work right? Whatever the case I don't want to take them on the bike because they cause me emotional distress.

I created a chart of some sort separating gels and energy food into groups. I got my favorites listed and of course the nasty ones that make me furious because I bought more than one or got greedy and grabbed 3-4 free ones at random cycling events. I know everybody has different taste, that's for sure, or else everything would be mint flavored, at least if I had my way.
THE BEST:
POWERBAR- Kona Punch, Green apple
GU- Vanilla bean, Chocolate outrage, Mint chocolate

UP FOR DEBATE:
GU- Peanut butter
(haven't tried it yet, kind of scared)

ONLY IN EMERGENCY:
HAMMER- Chocolate

NOPE NEVER AGAIN:
GU: Jet blackberry, Strawberry banana
POWERBAR: Raspberry cream

ON BIKE TASTIES FOR LONGER RIDES:
BEST:
CLIF: shot blocks, all flavors thumbs up
POWERBAR: Chocolate energy bites
(easy to eat and nummy)

THEY'RE ALRIGHT:
HONEY STINGER: Energy chews,
leave a pasty coating in mouth

NOT GOOD ON THE BIKE
BUT GOOD IF YOU'RE CRAVING
COOKIES WHILE AT THE HOUSE:

HONEY STINGER WAFFLES: Vanilla,
weird after-taste in mouth
Strawberry, I burped strawberries
for an hour after eating, I called them
Berry Burps

I love powerbars for pre-ride fuel about 2 hours before I head out on long rides. I go with the basics, chocolate, banana, and vanilla crisp. They're easy to choke down and don't cause belly issues. Clif bars are another go to for pre-ride and during rides over 40 miles.

So there you go, that's my two cents. I'm sure you have your own favorites, but if you have a favorite gel or bar other than the ones here let me know, I'm always looking for new flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment