Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Paris Roubaix Plus 2





It's Tuesday, Paris Roubaix was two days ago. I've had time to process and watch the final hour of racing three times over. I was watching Cancellara and Hushovd when they were having a heated discussion with what looks like a director's car and Garmin's team car. I did read in an interview- Thor said he wanted to respect his teammate up the road so he would stay on Cancellara's wheel the whole day and not attack. Is that real racing? Does that seem like a pussy move, I say yes. They were 20 seconds from the lead group at one time, why didn't they bridge the gap? I want to see real racing, brutal, painful, glorious racing. Don't get me wrong, I know they rode their hearts out, but what I saw was pathetic. Where is the Thor from stage 17 in 2009 Tour de France, breaking away to take full control of the green jersey from Cavendish.
How would you like to see that coming up in your rear view?

Funny coincidence: there's a quote from Cancellara in the May issue of Velonews magazine, yes I still read paper products. Here it is:

In the end it was Belgian, Johann van Summeren who emerged out of the cobbled dust bowl. With a flat no less for the last few k's, but still able to propose to his long-time girlfriend.
Just for the ladies and you sensitive guys

Garmin got their long awaited big Classics win. I'm kind of thinking that this would of happened for them sooner or later, they didn't need all the extra artillery that Cervelo added. Anything can happen with a proper breakaway. That's my 2cents.


All in all it was a sweet Paris Roubaix. Don't get me wrong, Cancellara had a good race and tried to put in a last minute attack. He either didn't have the legs or was actually foiled by Garmin's supposed attack plan. It just shows us that riders are human.


No comments:

Post a Comment