Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Cursed Kit



As you might of known I signed up for the women's public race during the Redland's Bicycle Classic. Bigger turnout than last year for sure, which is a good sign. 4 girls in the 18-35, 4 in the 36-44, and one lucky lady in the older group. I will not say which group I was in but there were 4 girls in it, nough said. So the field doubled from last year and I actually had some competition. Not really. They were all sweet ladies, very nice, and I half wanted to ride slow to be a one woman cycling morale booster. Just riding from one little woman to the next, urging her on. Back to the race.


I decided on my I. Martin, Belgian kit because Tour of Flanders was going Sunday. Big mistake. I'm superstitious, I knew putting it on I shouldn't be wearing it. Every time I wear it for a race or sportive something crappy happens. I'm either bringing up the rear in a crit or riding the San Diego Gran Fondo in 2 inches of rain. Don't get me wrong I won my age class. The fact is I lost a 6 mile race to a woman wearing a Bike Chick jersey, and nose ring. Don't let those power bottom chicks fool you. Ooooh, the humiliation, the mental anguish. I replayed the could'a, would'a, should'a scenarios in my head over and over.


How it came down is simple.

First lap- 3 riders- I sit behind

Second lap- loose a rider- sit behind Bike Chick

Third/Fourth lap- I'm an all day sucker baby

Final lap- she took off, I didn't realize it was lap 5. Chased her but couldn't get her wheel. Ugh.

I blame Todd Gogoulski. He did the race announcing and I felt guilty seeing him because I bad mouthed him on the blog saying he and Steve Schlanger sound like a morning radio duo. So now I have bad Gogo karma. I actually felt honored having him announce our race. I take back my comments. All in all, I had fun which is what it's about. Keeping it fun at this level is a good way to keep and bring more women into the sport.

2 comments:

  1. Very well done, freebird!
    Pretty cool style in the Belgian "tricolore" outfit (and of course on the Bianchi celeste bike), though I kinda like the "biker chick" kit too... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, although the sight of that little chick is still burned into my brain.

    ReplyDelete